Keep your smile shining bright with oral hygiene basics and regular checkups at our dental office.Taking care of your teeth requires more than receiving a dental cleaning at least once every six months. It is crucial to keep regular oral hygiene routines at home with brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. Along…
7 Secrets to Improve Your Dental Health
Looking for a few secrets on how you can improve your overall dental health? Good for you for taking the initiative to make sure that your dental health is always in tip-top shape. While most people do take good care of their dental health and accordingly see their dentist on a regular basis not everyone likes to put in the time that it takes, which truly is not a lot. But people are busy these days and sometimes making regular dental appointments is not at the top of their list of things to do. Although this is understandable, if regular dental care is avoided then it is almost certain that someone's dental health will not be up to par.
Dental health can also directly and negatively affect someone's overall health. Bacteria from the mouth can enter the bloodstream and while this normally does not cause any issues, if someone has a weak immune system it has the potential to cause an infection in another part of the body. Saliva testing is also available to find out more about someone's dental health and can detect environmental toxins as well as hormones or antibodies that can indicate a disease is present or an infection needs to be treated.
7 Secrets to improve dental health
The below seven secrets can be followed in order to improve one's dental health.
- Brushing one’s teeth really means brushing one’s gums. Learning how to brush in small circles each way in order to reach every nook and cranny is a great way to avoid gum disease.
- Avoid toothpaste that contains sodium lauryl sulfate, a chemical that can cause dental health issues. Since most toothpaste does contain this chemical, if used be sure to rinse thoroughly after using.
- Knowing one’s PH factor can be extremely beneficial when it comes to lowering the number of bacteria in one’s mouth. When someone knows what the PH of their mouth is it can help them make better food choices as well as understand how to better take care of their mouth.
- When eating a meal the last food eaten should be an alkalized food, i.e. candies or gum. Other examples of alkalized foods include cheese, nuts and pineapple.
- If using a mouth rinse be sure to use one that does not contain any alcohol. Also be sure to look closely at the ingredients as some of the chemicals in mouth rinse can be harmful, i.e. dyes. The mouth is a very delicate area so you always want to be careful when using a mouth rinse.
- Using a water irrigator is a great way to gently massage the gums as well as remove any food stuck in between the teeth.
- Xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that can be taken every day in order to address any dry mouth issues as well as any sensitive teeth issues someone may be experiencing.
Flossing before brushing will help keep the space between teeth clean and prevent plaque buildup.When it comes to cleaning the teeth, most people may not realize that there is an order you need to follow. In fact, many people aren't aware of the crucial oral hygiene basics that can help your teeth remain healthy. While…
Looking for information on why it hurts when you bite down? This can be frustrating when it looks like there is nothing wrong in your mouth yet it still hurts when you bite down on something. Whenever you are experiencing any type of dental issues, it really is essential that you seek professional the services…
Getting food stuck in between the teeth may be one of the biggest annoyances to deal with. It seems to always happen when a person is eating with somebody, enjoying a nice steak, or even just casually having a dinner that includes talking and eating.It is very common for food to get wedged in between…