If a person has poor eating habits and less-than-ideal dental care, then they are most likely dealing with dental issues. That is where the need for dental crowns comes into play. These are designed to help any patient deal with problems like teeth loss, decay or loss of color.
Dental crowns are also used with dental implants, to anchor dental bridges in place or to cover a misshaped tooth. They can also be used to protect weak teeth or for covering filled teeth. However, they have their downsides. Here is a comprehensive list of the pros and cons that come from using dental crowns!
Dental crown pros
- There are multiple dental crowns types to choose from, and each can suit a specific type of person. Patients can choose from metal, all-resin and porcelain-fused to metal, zirconium, metal and CEREC AC crowns.
- They help people recover from any dental problems much faster, and they do not cost a lot of money either.
- All dental crowns are created from high-quality, durable materials. This means the tooth will be protected at all times, and patients will not have to worry about any additional problems.
- Dental crowns look natural. People will not be able to tell the patient is undergoing a dental treatment. In fact, most people cannot distinguish them from natural teeth.
- Customers do not have to spend a lot of time accommodating new teeth. The dental crowns are created from bio-compatible materials.
- Dental crowns will not cause any pain. Instead, these prosthetics stay there for as long as someone needs them. Removing these crowns is not difficult either, although it is a task more suitable for a medical professional.
- Crowns do not cause any allergies.
Dental crown cons
- Many dental crowns require tooth trimming before installation. It is hard to match them perfectly with the current dental structure, so trimming is most likely a necessity.
- Depending on what type of dental crown is used, some dark lines might appear along the patient’s teeth.
- Sometimes dental crowns can lead to sensitive teeth. While this will go away in time, it is still an issue for the short term.
- Crowns can be very fragile.
Should patients use dental crowns or not?
While there are a few downsides to consider, there is no denying that using dental crowns is a good idea. It allows customers to opt for popular dental treatments, and the best part is that one can adjust and adapt the treatment to suit their needs.
Most dental crowns are identical to natural teeth, so no one will spot them. That being said, patients have to realize that using dental crowns is recommended only for a certain amount of time. People should not use them for years without changing them or monitoring their dental health. That is why patients need to visit their doctor often while using dental crowns.
Schedule a consultation with one of our dentists to learn more about crowns.
Here's what you need …
Call (973) 542-7597 today to reach Roman Khodosh DDS PC.
There are many reasons that dental crowns are a good choice for your teeth. Whether you are wanting to restore an already broken tooth or cover a discolored tooth for aesthetic purposes, dental crowns are …
Dental crowns can help restore both the functionality and appearance of a smile. At Roman Khodosh DDS PC, we understand that some people may be wondering what a dental crown is and how we place …
We provide dental crowns in East Orange so that our patients can have a healthy and beautiful smile. Many people are unaware of the role that dental crowns play in modern day dentistry, thinking only …
If you are in need of a dental restoration, you should know why crowns and bridges are excellent restorations to consider. Crowns and bridges can work separately or together to offer you aesthetic value and …