A root canal treatment is typically the first option when it comes to dealing with severe cases of tooth decay where the cavity has reached the pulp of the tooth. It has a bad reputation as a painful dental procedure, but it is actually a relatively painless experience.The closest thing to pain that patient's feel…
How to Recover Quickly After an Implant Dentistry Procedure in East Orange
When planning your implant dentistry procedure, it is important to understand what the process entails. Dental implants are an excellent way to replace a missing tooth because it is a durable and strong way to do so. Unlike other cosmetic dentistry procedures, implants do not rely on the strength of other teeth to stay in place. Instead, a new root system is created so that the new synthetic tooth can be as strong and secure as a natural tooth would be. This is excellent because if any of the surrounding teeth become damaged, the implant will not be impacted.
The new root system is created when the dentist implants a metal post under your gums and secures that post to your jaw bone. This is the most important part of the procedure because it allows osseointegration to take place where the metal and bone fuse together. A few months will go by before this process is complete, but the wait is worth it since your tooth will be as secure as a natural one would be.
Implant dentistry procedures have a surgical element because the metal post is implanted under the gums surface. As an expert dentist, we make our patients as comfortable as possible but there is still some recovery that must take place at home. Gums can be sore for the first couple of days and may even bleed a little. There are ways you can speed up the recovery process so here is what you need to know.
- Stop the bleeding. While a little bleeding is common, it can still be frustrating. The best way to stop it is by applying a moist tea bag to the area or using gauze. Both are effective, and you will probably only need to use them for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Reduce the swelling. Apply a cold compress or ice pack to your face or jaw for fifteen minutes at a time. This will reduce any swelling that you may have and help you to feel more comfortable overall. Be sure to cover the ice pack before using it to avoid irritating your skin.
- Take pain medication. We will prescribe pain medication for you to use. This will help you to stay comfortable during your recovery so be sure to take it as directed.
- Drink water. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water after your procedure. This is important for avoiding dry mouth. Simultaneously, avoid sugary drinks like soda and juice that are bad for your teeth.
- Take the time to rest. Many people try to get back to normal life too quickly. Getting dental implants is a major procedure so take the time to rest. This will allow your body to focus on healing instead of spending energy running errands or going to work. Just a few days off will help you to heal faster and feel better.
Implant dentistry is the best way to replace a missing tooth for people that want to lead an active and unrestricted lifestyle. The key is to take it easy for a few days so that your implants can heal, and there is no risk of them getting bumped or pushed out of place.
Painless Root CanalWhen it comes to a root canal, most people have an intrinsic fear of the process. Our reputation is one of a gentle dentist, so when you must have a root canal therapy performed, there is no better place than our East Orange, NJ office to get it done. There are a few…
If your dentist tells you one or several of your teeth require a root canal, do not panic. While just about everyone dreads hearing such words, the truth is root canals serve an important purpose. People need to ask the question of whether root canal therapy is truly necessary or if there are alternative approaches…
The best practices for healthy teeth include flossing, brushing, rinsing with mouthwash, visiting the dentist and more. If it seems like your teeth and gums require a lot of work, there are multiple solutions for what you can do to treat your teeth.A clean and healthy mouth requires at least 20 minutes of attention every…