Dental implants are a great option for many who have one or more missing teeth, but they may not be the most ideal replacement solution for everyone. It is helpful to understand when and why a general dentist might recommend dental implants. There are certain pros and cons of dental implants that one can expect,…
Metal-Free Crowns: More Aesthetic Results for Front Teeth
Metal-free crowns are the most natural-looking types of crowns. Thanks to advances in dentistry, you can now get a crown that is made completely out of this glassy material. Ceramics imitate many properties of real teeth such as the way they reflect light.
To make things even better, getting a metal-free crown is typically a lot more convenient than getting a traditional one. Metal-fused crowns have to be sent to a dental lab where the prosthetic is made. The process can take up to two weeks, so the patient has to come back for a second appointment to complete the treatment.
Things are completely different with metal-free crowns. These can often be made while the patient waits at the clinic thanks to CEREC® technology. The machine mills dental restorations from solid blocks of ceramics in as little as 15 minutes.
Ceramics are not the only materials used to make metal-free crowns. They are also made with zirconium – a type of ceramic-like material with some metallic properties. Zirconium is a lot more durable than ceramic, but crowns made from it do not look as natural as those made with ceramics. A zirconium crown would be made in a lab that makes dental prosthetics.
Benefits of metal-free crowns
Here are some reasons why patients should consider getting crowns that are not fused with metal:
- Significantly better aesthetics: Issues like the metal part of the tooth being exposed are thrown out the window. The patient gets a natural-looking tooth that stays looking that way.
- More convenient: As we mentioned earlier, getting fitted with conventional metal-fused crowns often requires at least two visits to the dentist. Things are a lot simpler with all-ceramic crowns since they can usually be made while the patient waits.
- Biocompatible: All-ceramic crowns are biocompatible which is a huge plus for those who are allergic to metals.
- Gentler on opposing teeth: All-ceramic crowns cause less damage to opposing teeth than metal fused alternatives. The only exception would be gold crowns, which are just as gentle on opposing teeth but provide poor aesthetics.
- Less enamel is removed: Portions of enamel are typically removed before a dentist fits a patient with a crown. It is done to ensure a tight fit on the tooth. The tooth might be shortened or bulked up with filling to ensure the crown fits properly.
- Long-lasting solution: Metal-free caps that are made from zirconium are virtually as durable as metal crowns. Ceramic crowns can last up to 15 years with good dental hygiene
What are crowns used for?
A dentist might decide a patient needs a dental crown for a wide variety of reasons that include:
- A broken or fractured tooth
- A deformed tooth
- A badly discolored tooth
- Small gaps between teeth
- To anchor bridges
- As artificial teeth attached to implants
Getting a crown has never been easier
Dealing with a dental issue that requires a crown? Stop by our clinic and explore your options.
Let's get started…
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Keep your teeth clean, smile more and be happier in the process. Routine dental procedures are the secret to a better lifeWhether it's been six months or over a year since your last checkup, there's no time like the present to schedule an appointment for routine dental procedures. Our team creates a comfortable and welcoming…
Enhance your smile and obtain a perfect set of teeth by visiting our prosthodontist.When it comes to replacing teeth, you want to find the most effective and natural-looking option to match your existing teeth. As a prosthodontist, we understand that you are looking to replace a tooth and restore your smile.As a prosthodontist, we have…
Professional teeth whitening can produce long-lasting results as long as you keep up proper hygiene.If you're looking for the most effective way to whiten your teeth and brighten the appearance of your smile, then you need to consider professional teeth whitening. Unlike store-bought solutions, we can customize the treatment for your needs. By working with…